BRICS Youth Assembly Conference was opened at Altai State University

24 June 2016 Public Relations Department
Today, 24 June, the opening ceremony of BRICS Youth Assembly Conference was held at Altai State University. Representatives of 5 countries (Brasil, Russia, India, China and South Africa), students of 62 Russian universities, prominent experts have gathered at hospitable Altai State University to spend 2 days here, to discuss the issues concerning the history of organization, national youth policy of every BRICS country, to find the areas of common interest and to form new joint projects.

The event was initiated by the National Youth Council of Russia and supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Federal Agency for Youth Affairs, Asian Universities Association and Russian Union of Student Organizations.

The opening ceremony started with the welcoming speech of the conference moderator, head of the Department of Extracurricular and Educational Work A.A. Tselevich. Anton A. Tselevich noted that the BRICS Youth Assembly Conference is an outcome of the Kazan BRICS Youth Summit 2015, where the participants discussed the possibility of BRICS youth organization establishment.

“We confirm our intention to strengthen cooperation in the area of youth policy between the 5 countries in order to provide fast and stable social and economic development. We admit that the cooperation based on the principle of voluntarism, equality and mutuality is vital. We hope that our assembly will become an important stage of youth relations consolidation in such spheres as youth non-governmental organizations and national youth associations. It is especially important for us to continue youth initiative that originated in the framework of Russia’s chairmanship in BRICS and implement it in the framework of India’s chairmanship in BRICS,” said A.A. Tselevich.

The First Vice-Rector for Educational Work E.S. Anichkin also welcomed the partcipants. Evgeniy S. Anichkin drew the guests’ attention to the fact that Altai State University had proved itself to be an effective site for communication, cooperation and international forums organization. It has aready hosted a number of forums and conferences: International Educational Forum “Altai-Asia”, Asian Student Forum, events of Asian Universities Association and so on. Speaking of BRICS Youth Assembly Conference, the Vice-Rector focused on its unicity. The discussion site for BRICS countries has been organized at Altai State University for the first time and it is a bright highlight in a chain of other events.

“Social aim of the conference is significant and lies in harmonization, coordination and efficiency improvement of BRICS countries’ youth policy. Different working formats (masterclasses, panel discussions, workshops) will serve as a base for achieveing the goal,” Evgeniy S. Anichkin expressed his confidence and wished productive, creative work and the good time in the university, Barnaul and Altai Krai to the participants.

The opening remarks were also made by the conference experts: head of the Department for Youth Policy Projects Development and Youth Initatives Support under the Altai Krai Head Office for Education and Youth Policy Valentina S. Baiborodova; chairman of the Barnaul Committee for Youth Affairs Vladimir V. Gudkov; Programming director of the National Committee for BRICS Research Liana A. Vyazovskaya; deputy director of Russkiy Mir Foundation Sergey V. Shurygin; vice chairman of the National Youth Council of Russia Lukiana I. Suvorova; chairman of Youth Parliament under the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation Natalia S. Kuvshinova; deputy of the Altai Krai Legislative Assembly Nikolay N. Yakushev; Vice chairman of Russian Engineers Union and Oeconomicus club member Vitaliy A. Ilyin. They thanked the classical university for the hospitality, conference organization and agreed that the event will become a discussion site, which will promote the strengthening of piece and understanding between BRICS countries.

The representatives of BRICS made their responsive comments:

Thomas Henrique de Toledo Stella from Brazil:

“Today we are here to encourage our further relations in the framework of BRICS. BRICS is a multicultural world that gives all member countries an opportunity to build up relationship and develop it. Young people can help to accomplish these objectives.”

Mohammad Akil from India:

“It is a great honour for me to be a participant of BRICS Youth Assembly Conference. Such events and conferences are extremely important. They help to establich new contacts. On behalf of the youth organization for cooperation in India, I express the hope that altogether we will make specific decisions that will be relized in our countries in future.”

Ghe Deng from China:

“In 2015 I participated in BRICS Summit and other events connected with it. People from BRICS countries are my close friends. I will get my higher education diploma next week and I am going to stay and work at my university. I hope I will be able to convince my students that it is necessary to take notice of BRICS events and to take an active part in them.”

Dorothy Malefu Lebesa from the Republic of South Africa:

“It hard for everyone to solve the problems alone. This is why we highly value the opportunity of participation in international youth organizations and forums. Our forum is held a year after important event – Youth Summit in Tatarstan. The decision to develop youth cooperation between BRICS countries has become a great base for youth assembly establishment that will unite the youth associations of our countries. We hope this is a good chance to enhance the activities of BRICS countries’ young people. At the conference we will not only discuss a number of questions, but also work out a plan that will be implemented in future.”

The opening ceremony of BRICS Youth Assembly Conference was finished with taking commemorative photographs. Further, the participants proceed to the highly topical conference program. From 24 to 27 June they will be involved in educational units, public discussions and masterclasses. On the last day they  will go on excursion to Altai Mountains.

Printable version